This month we’re celebrating literacy in all its forms: reading and writing, numeracy, digital literacy, and media and information literacy!
Supporting the literacy skills of Tasmanians and encouraging everyone to keep learning throughout life is one of our main aims at Libraries Tasmania. We foster this activity in the community through coordinated workshops, one-to-one and group tuition and by providing access to information and resources to help people at all stages of their learning journey.
While we focus on this important work all year round, in October specific events such as Get Online Week and 26TEN Week really shine a light on this incredibly important topic and remind us all that there’s always something new to learn.
So, to inspire you, here’s a snapshot of the literacy activities on offer at our libraries this month:
- Staying Connected While Being Apart @ Ulverstone Library
- Digital Mentors @ Sheffield Library and Latrobe Library
- All You Need to Know About Data and Public WiFi @ Devonport Library
- Literacy, Learning and Libraries Celebration Morning Tea @ Penguin Library
- Rock & Rhyme and eSafety Awareness Session @ Devonport Library
October is also… a big community events month!
Across our libraries, you’ll find activities and resources for the following important events:
- Mental Health Week: 4 to 11 October
- Anti-Poverty Week: 11 to 17 October
- Seniors Week: 11 to 17 October
- Get Online Week: 18 to 24 October
- 26TEN Week: 25 to 29 October
- Media and Information Literacy Week: 24 to 31 October
Through Libraries Tasmania, you have access to so many pathways to improve your literacy skills (or those of someone you know), whatever your age or situation – it’s as simple as contacting a library and asking what they have on offer to support your needs.